Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Guests Speak, No. 3

Blog Skepticism
by Ankush Khardori

I'm glad to see you've started this blog. You now hold the dubious
distinction of being the first person I know personally to do such a thing.
In my mind, a lot is riding on whether or not you're able to be successful: If you are, I'm going to have to stop deriding blogs at every opportunity I get.
To be fair and not to discourage you, my open disdain for these things
has more to do with their role in creating and propagating political
rumors; their authors' smug but emarrassingly unjustified sense of
self-importance (see, for example, http://slate.msn.com/id/2112621);
and the idea that otherwise useless people can make a living by linking
to *other* people's writing and adding easy irony or sarcasm (see, for
example, http://www.wonkette.com and http://www.gawker.com;
as well as http://slate.msn.com/id/2096976/).

Obviously, none of the above applies to you, and I've really liked the
few posts I've read thus far -- even though I think Coleridge a far
superior romantic poet to Byron. I'm just kidding; my knowledge of
Coleridge is limited to the oft-repeated (but infrequently attributed)
phrase, "willing suspension of disbelief." But I digress.

9 Comments:

Blogger fred burgess! said...

This was not a response to 'A Call to Action'; it was a reaction to this blog in general, but, Ankush, you said I could quote freely from it.

Also, "some of your Springfield friends" are my words. Ankush specifically listed which friends. Is this censorship or good taste?

9:32 AM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

Scratch part of my last comment. The sentence in question has been removed by request of the writer.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the redaction, Fred.

As to whether initially it was censorship or good taste? -- it was both.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the redaction, Fred.

As to whether initially it was censorship or good taste? -- it was both.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did that get posted twice? Damn computers. That's the last time I try to interact with a blog!

Except for this time.

11:20 AM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

All for a comment being posted twice? Seems a small crime to me.

Also, redaction -- good word.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel like "their authors' smug but emarrassingly unjustified sense ofself-importance"

might apply to whoever authors such a statement.

other than that, though, much love for the khardoris + their angst.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouch... see, this is why i should steer clear of blogs... so that i don't get scoffed at by people kind enough to insult me on the one hand, while also posting under "anonymous" on the other.

12:52 PM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

True that. Keep it clean, anonymous, or else don't be anonymous.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home