Sunday, June 19, 2005

Since High School

Freshman year at U of I - (Taft Hall, 1213 S. 4th St., Champ., 61820). Environmental Science. Topic proved boring. Rising independence yet decline of social life. Summer in Springfield. Lifeguard, parties, met soon to be girlfriend. Second year. Moved to apartment (711 W. Elm St. #15, Urbana 61801). Feeling pride yet ambivalence about growing older. Switch of major to English. Fulltime girlfriend. Last summer in Springfield. Road trip to New York. Third year. Same apartment. Less fun roommates. English major/ girlfriend. Summer as camp counselor, upstate New York. Aesthetically perfect, systematically oppressing. Year abroad, Liverpool, England (Great Newton Hall, 7 Lower Gill St, Lvrpl., L3 5BA, www.greatnewtonhall.com). Both independence and loneliness at peak. Travel Europe. More worldy perspective. Loss of girlfriend. Summer in Madison with brother. Feeling disconnected yet full of possibility. Road trip to west coast. Take friends to Muskoka, Canada. Fifth year. Still English major, still undergrad. My own apartment (802 S. Locust St. 6N, Champ. 61820). Creative facial hair. Road trip to Arizona. Start with journalism class and school newspaper. Get puppy. Accepted to grad school. Everything routinized, even weekend trips, yet content. Brother married. Summer in Urbana. New apartment (409 E. Fairlawn Dr., Urbana, 61801). Comfortable, adult.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fredo,

You failed to mention your profession as a "adult." Just wondering why?

4:20 PM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

I never accepted it as a full-time gig. It's always been temporary, like a hobby, or play-acting, trying on different costumes and seeing if they work for me.

9:00 PM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

Plus, I meant "feel adult-like," not "I am now an adult."

Just as I would never say, "I am now comfortable and always will be."

To quote Steve Malkmus: "Promise me/ You will always be/ too awake to be famous/ too wired to be safe."

6:49 AM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

No problem. Though I don't know if I should encourage this creepy habit of yours.

11:15 AM  
Blogger fred burgess! said...

Another fitting quote about being comfortable:

"I believe in the future/ I may live in my car."

-Paul Simon

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home